Friday, June 10, 2011

Khichadi.



This is a basic indian porridge of rice and mung beans. You may use any other kind of lentil if you wish. This reminds me very much of jok or kao thom in Thai which is a basic rice porridge, without beans but usually with added meat or vegetables. I grew up eating kao thom on days when your stomach isn't feeling well or when you are sick. Today I needed some cheering up and I wanted to enjoy some kind of comfort food. I chose to make khichadi because I like the addition of mung beans for protein.

Here's a good recipe online. It says to soak the mung beans and rice but I didn't do that. I also used white rice instead of brown. The spices I used in mine were: cumin, turmeric, grated ginger, veggie broth powder and mushroom soy sauce. The Sriracha hot sauce on top is essential!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the giant swirl of sriracha on top! Sriracha makes everything tastier.

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Looks good, I'm Indian and we have this all the time!

Sariah said...

Where do you buy your ingredients? Check out the Green PolkaDot box. www.gpdb.com/vegan. I just bought a membership and am amazing by their pricing. Bound to save you money on these delicious meals you are cooking!

janet @ the taste space said...

I made kichari this weekend, which sounds so similar to khichadi, except I used quinoa and red lentils. I like the sounds of this dish that has more Indian flavours in it. :)