Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Mediterranean Sunday Lunch.


I was feeling ambitious today and made this beautiful array of foods for my lunch, including dessert. Wish I had a friend over to share it with!


I used my "Olive and The Caper" Greek cookbook to make this luscious eggplant stewed with red wine and basil. It originally called for shallots but I used onions instead. This was so flavorful and you know that anything cooked with red wine is going to be good.


I had a tiny cauliflower that I knew would be a perfect accompaniment to my stew. I roasted it in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper for about 20 minutes to get this beautiful golden charred look.


And from my trusty "Tables of Lebanon" cookbook, I made moujadara (lentils and rice with caramelized onions). I needed some protein to round out the meal so this was a good way to get both a grain and a protein.


My bowl.


And dessert was a basic lemon white cake. So soft and tender!

8 comments:

Big Bad Art said...

Looks delicious! Very warming.

vegiebug said...

that eggplant dish made my mouth water!

kmouse said...

Big Bad,
Yes it was very!

vegiebug,
I know huh? All glossy and luscious looking!

Jaime said...

I love Mediterranean food! And this looks so good.

Kamaile said...

You make the best lunches and I know the leftovers (if there were any)will be delicious!

Vic Robinson said...

Looks great! I love that cauliflower! Yum!

Stacy said...

Wow, awesome-looking Medi spread. Wish I was your friend you could have over to share it with!

respectheveggies said...

I,m definitly keeping an eye on your blog! I'm struggling with vegan transition here and your blog just gave me hope with all those wonderful recipe! including this one!
They seem delicious! and i love love love love mediterranean food!
Keep it up!