Sunday, January 16, 2011

Boiled Raisin Cake, Greek Pastitsio, Potato Tacos


I was looking up depression-era recipes and found this awesome boiled raisin cake recipe. During the depression, things like eggs and milk were scarce so homemakers would come up with easy desserts that didn't require any of those things. And in doing so, they made desserts that are inherently vegan, yay!


I loved this cake. It was moist yet still sturdy enough to spread Earth Balance buttery spread all over it. You'll find the recipe here.


Opened up "The Olive and The Caper" cookbook again which is becoming my favorite cookbook. I made the vegetarian pastitsio which is a layered pasta casserole with a layer of tomato sauce, cheese and vegetables in the middle and a saltsa besamel (white sauce) on top. I used Daiya vegan cheese and plain soymilk for the white sauce.


I took this pic right after it came out of the oven. I didn't let it sit for 15 minutes like I was supposed to so when I went to cut out a piece, it collapsed in my plate.


A while later, I served some to my father and this was his plate. Look at that cheesy crust on top that the white sauce made. Yummy!


My husband was going to his buddy's house for football and requested these mini potato tacos. I said "sure" and an hour later, these were ready to go!

7 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Very cool! I had no idea! I am going to look into that time period as well. I live your blog! :)

http://www.haymarket8.blogspot.com

VeganSolo said...

That pastitsio looks delicious. I just purchased my first bag of Daiya (altho I've had it in restaurants). Great use for it. Those tacos look really good as well.

kmouse said...

Thanks Vic! You have to try that raisin cake, it was so good. I'd like to find more recipes like it.

VeganSolo,
I love Daiya! It's funny, sometimes I look through non vegan recipes and when they call for cheese, the first thing my head says is "Aw too bad. Cheese." then a moment later I'm like "Oh wait! DAIYA!"

Healthy4Life said...

looks so good! i really want to try the tacos!

crunchyveganwifelife said...

I am coming to live with you...
I love your food.
Viv
LOL

Anonymous said...

OMG, now Im soo hungry after reading this post. The pasta looks incredible. Thank you for letting me know what brand of cheese you use. It saves time and "vegan-cheese heartache".

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Right after you posted this, I tried the boiled raisin cake. SO GOOD! Everything looks really amazing.