Sunday, October 10, 2010

Greek Lenten Spinach Pie


I've been on a greek food kick lately. Can't get enough! This is the greek lenten spinach pie from "The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen". It's basically spanakopita without the cheese. It is served during lent when animal products are forbidden. I've had non-traditional spanakopita with tofu (Vegan with a Vengeance recipe) which is very rich and filling. This pie is a little on the lighter side yet satisfactory. I think I may use a few sheets less of phyllo as I found it way too much.


My pie had a serious hump top from the phyllo puffing up a lot. It soon deflated a bit when I cut into it. I think I might double the filling next time.


Served with russian salad, a potato salad popular in greek cuisine and lutenica which is a red pepper spread from Bulgaria.


Good stuff.

6 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Whoa!!!! That looks totally awesome!

VegSpinz said...

I like how rustic it looks, and it must taste delicious with those sides!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Looks fantastic! I've never had spanakopita before. Maybe I'll start with something like this and work my way up.

kmouse said...

Mo,
The Vwav one is stellar.

MissAlyssaDawn said...

wow this looks amazing!

sara said...

that pie looks so good! i love spanakopita.