Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Almost Manestra



Manestra is a Greek soup with a simple base of tomatoes, olive oil, oregano and orzo pasta. I got the recipe from 'The Olive and The Caper' cookbook. I call it "almost" manestra because I couldn't find orzo anywhere so I had to replace it with anellini pasta. Such simple ingredients but so tasty, warming and full of flavor. The traditional greek way to eat this is with a generous sprinkling of parmesan or kefalotyri cheese on top. I used "parmezano sprinkles" which is a mock parmesan recipe made with almonds, nutritional yeast, salt and miso paste. Worked very well with the soup. I am definitely making this again with orzo in the future.

The recipe is posted at this blog.

4 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Looks great! I love the bowl too...very greek! :)

Love said...

I have to try this!

Jen Treehugger said...

YUMMY! That looks great. I've not made any soup yet 'cos it's still really hot here - but I can't wait to!

Anonymous said...

In Spain we eat a lot of Menestra, We love this dish :)

Your recipe looks delicious!