Sunday, July 18, 2010

Lebanese Moussaka


A few nights ago I went to a local Lebanese restaurant and ordered the moussaka. It was so delicious. Velvety pillows of eggplant with chickpeas and onions in a tomatoey sauce spiced with cinnamon and allspice. I knew I had to make it at home. I used the recipe from 'Tables of Lebanon' but instead of cooking it in the oven, I let it simmer low and slow on the stove for an hour. It was perfection. I enjoyed my moussaka on the patio along with a side of hummus, bread and pickled turnips.

13 comments:

Rose said...

That looks absolutely delicious! I enjoy just looking at it...I can imagine actually eating it would be heaven!

Glue and Glitter said...

That looks fantastical! I'm intrigued by those pickled turnips, too! Did you make them or find them in the store?

kmouse said...

Becky,
Found them at a store! I heard that it's easy to make pickled turnips. If you google it, you can find it online.

Desdemona said...

I grew up eating my Greek father's moussaka, so the first time I had the Lebanese version, I was nonplussed, but soon came to love it. Your post reminded me that I've never actually made it myself (yet); that needs to change as soon as the weather cools!

Stefanie said...

Yum! Your meal looks great as usual. :)

Jacklyn said...

this looks so good! love eggplant!

Indu said...

eggplant and chickpeas!! my 2 favs...

vegiebug said...

that looks delicious! Moussaka is one of my favourite dishes and yours looks amazing and makes me hungry!

INGRID said...

wow, that looks amazing. Can you direct us to a recipe?

Vic Robinson said...

I have never had moussaka but it looks fantastic.

marciferous said...

Wow, looks yummy - from which book was this recipe?

VeganCraftastic said...

Mmmm, that looks delicious, and I looove picked turnips!

kmouse said...

marciferous,
From the Tables of Lebanon cookbook