Saturday, July 24, 2010

Gaby's Mediterranean Cafe


A week or two ago, I went to Gaby's Mediterranean in West L.A. with my friend (who took the photo above) to enjoy a meze dinner. I have been going to Gaby's for many years and the food usually never disappoints. We got a medley of dishes: the Vegetarian's Choice (plate on the left) which includes hummus, baba ganouj, tabbouleh, grape leaves and falafel. Perfect to share for two. We also go the moussaka (dish in front) which is a beautiful stew of tender eggplant, chickpeas, tomatoes and onions in a tomato sauce. And to make it all complete we ordered the fatayer (spinach pies which you can see on the plate right in front of my chest, haha). Everything was super delicious. We even smoked a bit of apple shisha after the meal. It was very pleasant but I must say that in all my years of dining at Gaby's, they have never seemed to get the customer service on target. Our waitress disappeared for a long time and we had to wait for water and bread re-fills which we eventually got from a bus person. Hopefully that aspect (which is rather important in the restaurant business) gets taken care of sooner rather than later. There are a couple of other Mediterranean restaurants in the area that I'd like to try. Mezza in Culver City and Sofra Kabob down the street from Gaby's.

3 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Bad customer service can really suck, luckily, the food looks great! Cradle of Filth huh? ;)

Jacklyn said...

Sorry you had bad service but the food looks wonderful! Must go visit the places you mentioned!

kmouse said...

Vic,
Yeah too bad about the service. I plan to visit the other Med. cafes I mentioned and I'll try to review them so if you're ever in L.A., we can get some good grub! (I love Cradle of Filth!)

Jacklyn,
Can't wait to try the others. I'm hoping they have better service. I still love Gaby's though so I will still go there on less busy days.