Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cooking out of the pantry: Kidney Bean and Lentil Chili Dogs


I was in the mood for chili dogs today and I knew that I would have to go out and buy the veggie dogs but I didn't mind because the chili part was all coming out of my pantry. I didn't really follow a recipe, just threw a bunch of stuff in a pot and called it chili. I didn't use a lot of lentils only 1/4 cup or so for a bit of a different texture. I had one for lunch and it was really yummy with sauerkraut and a bit of ketchup. I'll have another for dinner.

Pantry staples used:
brown/green lentils
1 can kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
herbs/spices: cumin, chili powder, oregano, smoked paprika
hot dog buns (my husband bought these yesterday. Score!)
sauerkraut
ketchup

Other items from fridge:
red bell pepper
onion
garlic
jalapeno

Items I needed to purchase:
1 pack Lightlife Smart Dogs

3 comments:

kim g. said...

That looks so amazing. Lately I can never figure out what I'm in the mood to eat, and I think it's because I hadn't seen this picture yet! Yum!

Sindy said...

You read my mind- I think my next post might be about a hot dog too! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful....I think I have to stop reading your blog for the next 7 days as I complete a raw cleansing detox, but I'll definitely be back on day 8 for some inspiring vegan recipes :-)

mppaul2