Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Casserole & Oat Bran Muffins

I like to make a casserole on Sundays; something that I throw in a baking dish and pop in the oven while I go about my household duties. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know that this casserole of quinoa bean burritos is my old standby. Instead of serving them as a burrito, I just cut into the casserole and served up little squares of layered tortilla, quinoa, spinach, red peppers, corn and beans. The topping is Daiya cheese with a vegenaise/lemon juice/chili powder drizzle. The drizzle made the Daiya get all melty and cheezy.


Just out of the oven. Look at that topping!


Mmm.

Later in the day I made oat bran muffins with a recipe I found in The Vegan Family Cookbook. I haven't had a proper bran muffin since before I went vegan and what I remember was that they were dark brown, sweet, sticky and full of raisins. While good and wholesome, these muffins were not that. So I'm asking my fellow vegans, can you point me to a recipe for a bran muffin that I described? I need to go through my cookbooks...



4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I really need to try this for myself. I love casseroles, but I don't make them nearly as often as I'd like to.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Oraphan said...

Mmm! Your casserole looks wonderful! It's such a healthy and yummy all-in-one meal. What a great idea!

erin said...

If you have a subscription to CooksIllustrated.com, they have a good bran muffin recipe that I just made last week... just sub for the egg and you're good to go!

You could also try the backs of fiber (stick-looking) cereal boxes... lots of them use ground up fiber cereal (both seem to be vegan.)

Hope that helps!

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

How it all Vegan has a recipe for the kind of muffin you're talking about. If you don't have it let me know and i'll type it up for you to try!