Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Moong Dosa.

Hard to believe, but I've never had dosa before. Yesterday at work my co-workers were raving about the ones they ate at a south indian restaurant in San Francisco. It got me in the mood to try this dish out. I bookmarked this recipe a while ago in hopes of making it and tonight was the perfect night. I prepared the batter in the morning after soaking a bowl of moong dal (mung beans), red lentils and rice in water overnight. I also prepared a masala filling from "Flavors of India" cookbook which has onions, chile, potatoes and spices like cumin and mustard seed. I tried to make coriander chutney (from same book) but made it too watery so I added some vegan mayo to thicken it up. I would have used soy yogurt but didn't have any.


The first dosa was a failure.


But the rest after that turned out much better. I know I could have made them thinner like they're supposed to be but I just don't have the skill just yet!


The end result: Pretty dosa filled with spicy potatoes and onions.


My dinner plate. It was delicious! I do want to try authentic dosa at an indian restaurant soon. This was a fun experiment.

10 comments:

Mike K said...

I've never made dosas either - this looks delicious, especially the filling. the coriander chutney sounds tasty too!

Vic Robinson said...

I have had therm but never tried to make them. Looks intimidating! ;)

Gilly Smith said...

My 14 year old has just decided to turn vegan. I'm a food writer, and vegetarian and animal protestor was bad enough, but this... So I'm looking for inspiration. Thank goodness I found you!

Glue and Glitter said...

It looks a lot like the soft bread you get at Ethiopian restaurants. Delicious!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I had never had dosa before I finally went to Paru's in December. I didn't love it, but I think it was the filling I didn't love. Yours look so good that I might attempt my own!

Vaala ◪ said...

This might be a silly question, but the mung beans, rice and red lentils aren't cooked before they're soaked right? I definitely want to try this recipe. Had some awesome ones at one of the food stalls at a market in town but never thought of making them myself until now.

kmouse said...

Gilly,
Thanks for reading! Hope you and your daughter have fun making delicious vegan food!

Vaala,
No the mung beans, lentils and rice are not cooked first. They are soaked raw, then blended into a batter the next day and then allowed to ferment for a few hours.

Mary Ann Dames said...

My daughter served dosas at her wedding dinner. Her husband's parents are teaching me how to make them. Yummy and easy.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I've never had dosas either, but that looks fabulous!

Oraphan said...

I've never made or had dosas before, yours looks and sounds so tempting!