Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Chicken" Fricot Part 2


A while ago I made an attempt to re-create a traditional Acadian fricot and while it tasted excellent, I thought I'd revise it a bit after getting feedback from my husband. His mother made this dish often and he said that it needed turnips and also had to be simplified: in other words, no mushrooms, no garlic, no zucchini. So here is what I did:

Vegan "Chicken" Fricot

2 TB Earth Balance margarine
1/2 tsp. Vegemite
1 large onion, cut into chunks
3 carrots, sliced
1 turnip, peeled and cut into chunks
3 small potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
4-5 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp. white miso
2 tsp. summer savory
salt and pepper to taste
1 TB cornstarch mixed with a little water to dissolve
4 Gardein vegan "chicken breasts" (I used the "scallopini" style)

Heat margarine and Vegemite in a pot until it melts. Add onions, carrots, turnip and potatoes. Stir around and then add vegetable broth, miso, summer savory and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then add the cornstarch/water and lower heat to simmer until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pan and brown "chicken breasts" on both sides and sprinkle salt and pepper over them. Cut into cubes and add to stew.

3 comments:

Woobie is Vegan said...

I've made few chicken soups and the gardein products hold up better than any other vegan chicken on the market as far as I'm concerned. yum!

Jen Treehugger said...

That looks very warm and comforting.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

The broth on that looks so beautiful.