Thursday, October 8, 2009

VeganMoFo: A Survey.



This survey has been going around the vegan blogs for VeganMofo so I thought I'd post mine today as I have no food to show! (Sorry! I came home, had a veggie dog while watching the tail end of the Dodger game!)

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I was hooked on plain Silk soymilk for a while until I discovered Trader Joe's original enriched rice milk. Dee-licious! I like this with cereal or smoothies or just drinking straight. I still use unsweetened soy for coffee, tea and for cooking.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
This is a very hard question because my inspiration can change daily. I always keep a list going and on my list the top three right now are:Tempeh Pastry Puffs (from Vegan Brunch), Butternut Squash Lasagna (Giada's recipe veganized) and Ma'amoul (arab stuffed semolina cookies).

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Not a popcorn fan, sorry!

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
This year it has to be my Moroccan Tagine in a crockpot. I couldn't get rid of that horrible tinny, crockpot tast! Blech! I'm never cooking in my crockpot ever again!

5. Favorite pickled item?
Why, pickles of course! My fave: Zergut Russian Style Pickles

6. How do you organize your recipes?
My cookbooks are lined on a shelf in the kitchen. There is always a small stack in my bedroom for nighttime reading. I also bookmark recipes online and of course keep a list going as previously mentioned.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
I don't compost, sorry. I know I should. So trash and garbage disposal at the present time..

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
chickpeas, lentils and rice

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
My mom's tuna casseroles. She used to use cream of mushroom soup, canned tuna, pasta and sliced cheese on top. I make a vegan version of it now: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=17782.0

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Thai coconut ice cream.


11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
Blender!

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
cumin

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, Vegan Planet and Vegan with a Vengeance

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Any kind of berry. Mainly raspberry.

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Something simple like pasta or a casserole.

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Me and tofu go way back.

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I love making dinner. It's such a homey, comforting thing to do.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Stuff that I never look at.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Frozen veggies, Frozen fruits (for smoothies!), Gyoza wrappers.

20. What's on your grocery list?
veggies, rice milk, quinoa, black beans, flour, vanilla...there's more I'm sure.

21. Favorite grocery store?
I love Trader Joe's and Top Valu.

22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
Giada's Butternut Squash Lasagna

23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
See my blogroll.

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Trader Joe's pecan and raisin dark chocolate bar.

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
I don't splurge too much. I like to keep it simple.

26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
yeast (as in breadmaking)

4 comments:

Oraphan said...

Very interesting!!!

Now I want to try TJ's pecan & raisin dark choc bar and vegan version tuna casserole. Can't wait for your butternut squash lasagna, yum!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I remember you talking about that Thai ice cream before. I really want to try it. Where do you get it from?

kmouse said...

I got it from a Thai grocery. I'm not really sure if you can find it at general asian markets...

Cupcake said...

I know that this post is super old, but I had to comment because you're the person who gave me the idea. Did you ever get a chance to make Giada's butternut squash lasagna? I finally made it today(eventhough I read this post nearly a year ago, it's been on my mind since) and it is amazing.

Just curious to see if you tried it and, if you did, how you liked it!