Friday, September 18, 2009

Black Eyed Pea Potato Burgers and Date Loaf Cake


I was in the mood for burgers today. I had some black eyed peas that I wanted to use as well as leftover mashed potato from last night's dinner. I mashed the peas and combined them with the potato, along with chopped onions, garlic, red pepper, zucchini, jalapeno, grated carrots, bread crumbs, smoked paprika, cumin and all purpose seasoning. I baked them for 35-40 minutes in a 400 degree oven, flipping halfway. They came out so nice and flavorful, crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.


Served on a pita with lettuce and garlic-dill aioli.


For dessert, I made a date loaf cake that came out so moist. I used whole wheat flour and sucanat in place of the white flour and regular sugar. I use this recipe all the time and it always comes out perfect.

6 comments:

Oraphan said...

What a wonderful idea! You're using up your leftover and ingredients that you've on hand. I really love how you created such a delicious dish with low cost, I'm so impressed!!!

Date cake, YUMMY...looks so good!

Anonymous said...

The date cake sounds delicious! I looove dates. I may have to try that recipe.

Jamie said...

The burgers look great. do you have any idea how much mashed potatoes, black eyed peas, and breadcrumbs you used?

kmouse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kmouse said...

Jamie,
I used a 14 oz. can of rinsed and drained black eyed peas, about 1 cup of mashed potatoes and 2-3 handfuls of breadcrumbs. They held together very well.

Jamie said...

Thanks.