Monday, August 17, 2009

Tofu Noodle Soup



Mmm, noodles! I sometimes get major cravings for a bowl of Thai noodle soup, especially when I see my omni family enjoying theirs with the traditional beef broth. Today my mom made this special for me. It hit the spot and was very easy to prepare. There really is no recipe involved. You just need a small pot filled with water where you will add a quartered onion, a clove or two of smashed garlic, a few baby carrots, a celery stalk cut into pieces, a 1/2" piece of peeled ginger and a tomato cut into wedges. Bring to a boil and add mushroom soy sauce, a teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about half an hour. Add tofu cubes at the end before you serve. You may also prepare some boiled or steamed broccoli to add to your noodle bowl. Prepare your noodles of choice according to package directions (today we had flat rice noodles), put them into a large bowl, pour broth over noodles making sure to include a nice selection of veggies, add a tiny spoonful of chili paste or Sriracha hot sauce and stir it up. Then grab your chopsticks and slurp it all up!

8 comments:

Oraphan said...

Mmmmm, I love noodle soup. It's totally my kind of food. Yours looks amazing!!!

Tara said...

Ooh, so lovely!

Gina said...

That sounds like something I have totally been craving. Yum :)

Anonymous said...

wow, I forgot how much I love hot and sour Thai soup. I had to go and make me some for lunch (no soy). I'm a week into transistioning to a raw vegan diet...but I had to make on of my favorite dishes.

mppaul2

I Am Gluten Free said...

Yum. I will sub in Wheat-Free tamari for the mushroom soy sauce. While it might change the flavor somewhat, it is the only way (I think) to make this simple soup gluten free. Thanks for the soup idea!

~Ellen

Jen Treehugger said...

I'm getting cravings for a bowl of Thai noodle soup now!
Looks delish.

the house vegan said...

That looks so comforting and delicious! I've been craving noodles so I'll have to make this.

Emily said...

wah~ thx it looks sooooooo good, im so hungry now