Monday, March 9, 2009

Cooking out of the Pantry: Red Lentil Dhal

While compiling my list of pantry staples yesterday I already had in mind the first thing I was going to make: Isa's Red Lentil Dhal. I had all the ingredients, so this afternoon I got to work. I've never made dhal before, I've only had it at indian restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised how wonderful, complex, rich and flavorful this dhal was! The first step of toasting and grinding your own spices really contributes to the tasty flavors.

Pantry staples used:
1 cup split red lentils
assorted spices
veggie broth powder
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste (I only used 2 TB and freezed leftovers)
white jasmine rice

Other vegetables/fruits etc:
1 lime
1" piece of ginger
1 onion
3 cloves garlic

Ingredients I had to purchase: none



Look at that rich color!


My little lunch serving. This recipe makes A LOT so I will be eating this for a while... Money has been saved!

11 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

I am such a huge fan of Indian food. Im glad to see that other people cook it as well! Looks great!

BuzzleBee said...

That looks delicious! I'm a big fan of dhals...actually Indian food period!!

Run Sarah said...

Very yummy, I have to try this. Thanks for the recipe!

veggievixen said...

delicious! i love indian food.

Carrie said...

I love red lentil dhal! It's one of my favourite cheap meals to make. Your's looks fantastic!

aTxVegn said...

I hope you'll make dal all the time now. It's one of my favorite things to make and eat.

Anonymous said...

Your Dhal looks so delicious and easy to make. Thanks for such a wonderful idea. Can't wait to see more from you. ~ P'N:)

Anonymous said...

Your dal looks so good! I am really hooked on Indian food now! I will make it very often, it's so good!

Virginia said...

love your blog! that looks really yummmy!!

Anonymous said...

I'm all about the spice these days, so I can't tell you how drool-worthy this looks.

Leslie Richman said...

This looks really good. I need to shop from my pantry for a while too. Sounds like a good project to start on this weekend.