Saturday, October 18, 2008

VeganMoFo: French Toast & Welsh Rarebit



I woke up carb hungry today. All I could think about was eating bread and lots of it. This morning instead of my usual cereal or oatmeal, I decided to make french toast. It is the same recipe as in this post. I can't think of a more perfect thing to eat for breakfast on Saturday. I seriously don't miss french toast made with eggs at all. This is a much healthier yet very tasty option.




For lunch I wanted more bread but how to eat it instead of the usual sandwich? I went online and came across a recipe for Welsh Rarebit, a common dish served in Great Britain that consists of melted cheese sauce made with ale or beer, milk and spices and served on toast. I looked at many recipes and came up with something that was loosely based on those recipes. I served it on Ezekiel sesame toast which was a good call. The nuttiness of the sesame seeds was a perfect accompaniment to the rich melty flavored cheez sauce.



Vegan "Welsh Rarebit"

1 tsp Earth Balance margarine
1 tsp flour
1/4 C plain unsweetened soymilk
3 TB Colby Chedda Cheez (recipe from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook) OR you can use Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheddar OR Daiya Cheddar Style
splash of beer
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground mustard powder
pinch of paprika

Preheat broiler and pop a couple slices of bread to toast.
In a small saucepan on medium heat melt the Earth Balance. Add the flour and quickly stir with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring until it is blended together and starts to thicken and bubble. Slowly add the soymilk while continuously stirring. It will start to get thicker. Add the cheez and break it up with the spoon and keep stirring all the while to make it smooth. You may add more cheez if desired. Add the beer, soy sauce and spices and keep stirring, stirring, stirring until it gets nice and thick.
Spoon over toasted bread slices and place under broiler until cheese gets bubbly. EAT!

4 comments:

JohnP said...

Are you on a mission to post all my favorite foods? :) Your version of Welsh rarebit sounds great!

kmouse said...

john,
The Welsh rarebit was awesome. I wish I had made a double portion of sauce, I could have eaten two more toasts. :)

KitteeBee said...

yum, the rarebit looks great. since i'm not eating gluten right now, i'm thinking this would be pretty damn good on some roasted potatoes...

xo
kittee

Jen Treehugger said...

YAY! To Welsh Rarebit. It is also lovingly referred to as Welsh Rabbit - don't sound as good though does it.