Friday, September 5, 2008

Corn-Oat Waffles + Bonus party cupcakes

My father in law is visiting from Montreal for a few weeks and he's a diabetic so I thought I'd keep the Country Life Veg cookbook close by as all the recipes are healthy, low fat and sugar free. These breakfast waffles are made entirely out of oats, cornmeal, water, a bit of oil and a tiny amount of agave syrup. They came out really nice! They are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside with a light corn flavor. I imagine a little cinnamon added to the batter would have been amazing. Never had a non-flour based waffle before and I think I will make these more often. It's like having a bowl of oatmeal in waffle form.




My father in law's waffles overflowing with sugar free pancake syrup.


Mine with lots of buttery Earth Balance!

***


Aren't these just screaming "birthday cake"? Tomorrow is a big party for several birthdays in our family so I made these festive cupcakes for them. It's the Dulce Sin Leche recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and the fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting.

5 comments:

Glue and Glitter said...

Those sound so easy and delish! I wonder if you could use the batter for pancakes, if you didn't have a waffle iron!

kmouse said...

becky-
I think that would work. My first batch came out really soft because I didn't leave it in the waffle iron long enough and they reminded me of pancakes.

Carrie said...

My Dad is diabetic also so I will have to check out that book next time I go for a visit. The waffles and cupcakes look delicious!

LeAnne said...

Right on Kim! I recently made the Peanut Butter Cupcakes. Isa and Terry can do no wrong when it comes to the goodness of a cupcake. Yours look quite tasty!

sarchan said...

Those waffles look delicious, and I especially like the idea of no flour/low-sugar. I wish I had a waffle maker now.